Friday, September 11, 2009

Wolf killer to loons: stop picking on me!

By Daniel K. Wilson

A story out of Idaho the other day caught my eye about a hunter who’s been harassed for killing one of the area’s wolves, after they were taken off the endangered species list back in May.

You can read the whole story here:
http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_77edb626-98b3-11de-afef-001cc4c03286.html

“People are loons,” said wolf killer Robert Millage. “If they want to call up and have a discussion, I'm all about having a discussion. But they call me a fat redneck and a wolf killer and compare me to Michael Vick.”

Imagine that, people calling a man who just killed a wolf a “wolf killer”. Oh the cruelty!

But I feel sorry for this wolf killer, I really do. All he did was go out one beautiful summer day with the intention of killing a wolf that had never done any harm to him, and other people - probably city folk - are upset by it.

I mean, this guy, whose full time occupation is selling real estate, was well within his right to blow away this wolf and now he wants the police to watch over him and his business because he’s scared of what people might do.

I don’t know what kind of real estate hunters they’re raising in the land of potatoes these days but it seems to me that if a person is able to point a gun at a defenceless, innocent animal and pull the trigger, that person should be able to take a little criticism.

But still, I feel his anguish. Never mind about the wolf he killed for no other reason than the desire to end someone else’s life (and it was legal remember) or prove his “manhood”, and never mind about the mate left behind (most wolves are monogamous and typically mate for life) or the pups that have to grow up without their mother.

No, let’s feel sorry for this great white hunter because his feelings have been hurt. It’s so unfair.

After all, he only did what the government said he could do – kill animals for the fun of it.

By the way, I’m being sarcastic.

No comments: